WAIST-HIGH RAISED-BED GARDEN
Detailed Planter Box Plans to build
PDF electronic copy
Schultek Engineering & Technology, Inc.
This product is?great for any gardener who prefers to garden at waist-level?or has physical limitations that don?t allow gardening at ground level.
This product is also?ideal for elderly, disabled and handicapped gardeners.
Excellent physical therapy.
Easy access while standing or sitting.
Unrestricted access under the soil tubs.
Legs can be cut to any desired height during initial construction.
14? deep soil tubs?provide very adequate soil depth for all of your plants.
This sturdy?structure can be placed on your wood deck or concrete patio.??You can also place it on the soil in your garden area, perhaps with a stepping stone block under each leg to keep it from settling deep into the soil surface.
The?light-weight frame structure can be easily moved or relocated, by one person, once the soil tubs are emptied and removed (from the frame structure).
Every single part is readily available at your local ?Home Depot? hardware store.
- This product is?professionally designed by mechanical engineers at Schultek Engineering & Technology, for many years of reliable service.
- This is a great weekend project,?requiring just basic construction skills a few common tools.
Included in this package:
- Designs for the basic waist-high raised-bed structure, length-wise trellis structure, and cross-wise trellis structure.
- Thorough and complete dimensioned drawings and photos are provided.??A PDF copy will be emailed to you when payment is received.
- A complete and detailed list of materials is provided.
- This product is designed so that every single item of hardware and lumber can be readily purchased at your local ?Home Depot? hardware store.
- Every item is identified specifically by a photo, UPC barcode number or other identification.
- A complete list of tools is provided.
- Actual outside dimensions of basic frame (as shown in photos) are 67-1/4? long x 34-1/4? wide x 40? tall.??Height is easily adjusted to user preference.
- Actual total soil surface area is slightly less than 10 square feet.
- All structural joints are fully reinforced with heavy-duty galvanized steel brackets, stiffeners, bolts and screws.
- Very rugged and rigid structure.
- The basic frame is made of standard ?2×6? dimensional lumber (actual 1-1/2? x 5-1/2?), cut to length.
- Cross braces are made of standard ?1×4? dimensional lumber (actual 11/16? x 3-1/2?), cut to length.
- Legs may be tapered, as shown in photos (for improved aesthetics) or simply cut to length (for simpler construction).
- Made of heavy-duty plastic, rated by the manufacturer for 750 lb load (each).
- 14? internal tub depth.
- Multiple?water drain channels are molded into the bottom of the tub.??Simply drill a single drain hole in the tub bottom and cover the tub bottom with a fine screen and course rock for adequate drainage.
- Covers are provided for the tubs.??These covers can be used during the off-season to stop weed growth in the tubs and to shed excess rainwater if desired.
trellis structures rise 4 feet above the garden structures.
- Multiple trellises may be added to the frame structure, as desired.
- Trellis frame is constructed of ?2×2? dimensional lumber (actual 1-1/2? x 1-1/2?), cut to length.
- Horizontal and vertical trellis parts are off-the-shelf green plastic-coated hollow steel garden stakes, with knobby surface features for easier tie-up of plants.
- This can be manufactured and assembled with basic skills and a few common tools.
- Basic frame and tub cost is $95 for all hardware and $58 for?California?redwood lumber (all purchased from Home Depot).
- Length-wise trellis cost is $60 for hardware and $12 for?California?redwood lumber (all purchased from Home Depot).
- Cross-wise trellis cost is $35 for hardware and $9 for?California?redwood lumber (all purchased from Home Depot).
- Lumber selection
- Rot resistance ? recommend redwood, cedar or pressure-treated lumber
- Aesthetics ? recommend redwood or cedar
- Lowest cost ? recommend Douglas fir (or comparable), as it can be purchased for approximately 1/3 the cost of redwood
- Deck sealer finish is optional.??Cost for a quart of deck sealer is not included above, as a natural weathered finish may be desired.
Tools required for manufacture assembly:
- Hand saw (or power saw)
- Small hammer or mallet
- Power hand drill (for drilling holes and installing screws)
- Several specified wood drill bits
- _? wrench, ratchet or socket driver
- Simple hand wood chisel (or power wood router)
- Tape measure ruler
- Tin snips (sheet metal shears/scissors)
- Marking pencil or pen
- Protractor or other instruments (for marking a 75-degree angle)
- Small square (e.g. combination square) (useful, but not required)
- Sandpaper (or power sander) – optional, depending on desired finish
- Paintbrush ? optional, depending on desired finish
- Hand hacksaw (for metal) (or abrasive saw) ? optional, used to shorten several hollow metal trellis plant stakes, if desired
DIY Planter Boxes
Thank you for visiting!