Convertible Teardrop Trailer Plans
Convertible Teardrop Construction Guide
So you're tired of your gear getting wet while tent camping? Sick of sleeping on the cold, rocky ground? Then you sound like you're ready to build a teardrop trailer!
I have spent countless hours developing a construction guide that will show you, in detail, how I built the convertible teardrop. The Guide is aimed at novice builders who are either just looking for ideas, or those who want to build a clone of the convertible teardrop.
The Convertible Construction Guide is 44 pages of instructions and detailed drawings with measurements, and also a CAD generated 3D model designed by Z. Kaylor Designs. Also included with the Guide are 88 color pictures taken during the actual build of the convertible teardrop, and an additional 29 color pictures taken on August 20, 2011.
The 3D Model is provided as a PDF, and is a fully maneuverable, 'as-built' model of the convertible teardrop. The model can be viewed from any angle, and you can even choose to hide individual components, or to view them in a transparent mode like the image to the right. The image you see here is taken from the actual model.
The convertible teardrop trailer you see on this page was built in the Spring of 2010 for about $1,700. It took me about 10 weeks from the time the first bolt on the frame was tightened, to the time it was ready for its maiden voyage. Weighing in at only about 700lbs, it can be pulled by almost any vehicle!
The Convertible Teardrop Construction Guide is the FIRST and ONLY construction guide that provides detailed information for the installation of a roof fan while still allowing the convertible top to be COMPLETELY removable!
Why would you need a roof fan in a convertible teardrop?! Although there is a screen roof under the convertible top, it can still get pretty warm inside on a nice sunny day! I can guarantee the roof fan will make you so much more comfortable!
And what about thunderstorms on those warm summer nights? The roof fan can provide the air circulation to keep you comfortable even if you have to sleep with the convertible top on!
Specifications of the Convertible:
- Built on a 4x8 bolt-together trailer kit
- NO WELDING!!
- Built with basic power tools (circular saw, power drill, handheld jigsaw)
- Weighs about 700lbs
- Teardrop body is 4 feet wide, 9 feet long
- Wired for 12VDC and 110VAC
- The FIRST and ONLY convertible design with a roof fan and 100% removable top
Summary of the Construction Guide Package:
- 44 page Construction Guide
- Materials List with soures and approximate costs
- Computer generated (AutoCAD) detailed drawings with precise dimensions
- Step-by-step instructions
- 117 Color photos
- 3D model in PDF format
- General towing saftey sheet
- Basic electrical wiring diagram
- Optional instructions to extend tongue length are included (no welding required)